Rape Crisis Dunedin provides a number of services. Our office is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Women are welcome to come up to the offices to get information, resources and support.
Counselling and Support
- Telephone support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Face to face Counselling for survivors of sexual violence, her family and friends
- All counselling and support provided by Rape Crisis is free and confidential
You can ring Rape Crisis Dunedin if something is happening in your life now, or if you are struggling with something that happened in your past. We offer you over the phone support, one to one counselling or a therapy group. All these services are free of charge.
Counselling or group work provides a space to help you gain a clearer understanding of yourself. By meeting with other women you will find that you are not alone. Noticing what happens with you in the group will allow you to learn more about yourself.
Committing to joining our group is a very powerful and positive step. It is not always easy and it can be difficult to accept that you have to do the work yourself. You will be able to reflect on your relationships and your life in general.
Our counsellor Antonia Muir facilitates this group. We initially arrange a meeting so that you can meet her and see where the group will be happening.
Our group meets weekly on Tuesdays from 11am until 1pm . If you are interested in having counselling or are interested in our group we look forward to hearing from you. Please contact us on (03) 4741592 or e-mail us at email@example.com
For students and youth:
- Rape, sexual abuse, and sexual harrassment prevention workshops
- Educating youth so they can set healthy boundaries and make accurate and informed decisions about their sexual health
- Workshops are developed in accordance with and relevent to NZ curriculum
- Workshops can be designed to fit with health and safety units and existing school programmes
For community groups:
- Supporting survivors and managing rape or sexual abuse disclosure workshops and training
- Bystander intervention
- Preventing child sexual abuse and sexual harassment
- Rape awareness
- Workshop packages can be developed to meet specific needs
Our office is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
24 hour crisis call-out for survivors of recent sexual assaults
Advocacy and Support
- For those who choose to report to the police
- In going to Court
- Seeking Medical Advice
- Library Resources
- Referral to supportive Counsellors, Doctors and Lawyers
- We can put you in touch with Paiakatia Te Riri-support for Maori Women and Whanau, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Support Groups, and other Rape Crisis centres around the country.
- ACC procedures
Rape Crisis Dunedin is situated at 111 Moray Place (first floor), next door to the Fortune Theatre. The rooms are comfortable and private, and are a women-only space. All services provided by Rape Crisis support workers and counsellors are free and confidential.
As in any counselling relationship, there are limits to confidentiality. A Rape Crisis worker has an ethical obligation to breach confidentiality in the following circumstances:
- where safety of the survivor, a child, the Rape Crisis worker, or another person is threatened
- for the purpose of supervision (with identity protected)